Sunday, August 10, 2008

Five years ago, and one week to go

My wife tells me that "I Am a Teacher" debuted five years ago today. And man, what an interesting five years it's been! At that time, I was in a similar position to where I am today: Excited about starting a new job. Back then, however, I didn't know about the impending strike or the other problems I would have. Now, I'm older and warier, but at least I think I have a more realistic idea of what I'm getting into, and what I have to do to succeed.

The new job starts one week from tomorrow with workshops and some other before-school-starts stuff. It's going to be tight, as I'll have to go over there before our stuff arrives (and, if things don't go so well, before I even move into our new house). It's going to be hectic and stressful and nerve-wracking, but once things get started, I suspect it will settle down pretty quickly.

The workshop last weekend was a good experience, and I think I'm really going to enjoy this curriculum. It turns out, by the way, that I'm not teaching first year algebra at all. Instead, I think I'll be teaching four sections of Geometry and one of Algebra II. Cool!

This week, lots of last-minute packing (as I'm watching as much of the Olympics as I can!), sealing the deal on Friday, then getting utilities switched on, off, or switched over while we inform just about everyone we can about the new phone number and address. Whee!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger