Sunday, April 17, 2011

It's catch-up time!

What? You mean it's been a month since I last posted? And it's Sunday night and I have to go to bed in a few hours? Well, okay, then, I'll just do a quick catch-up.

Lots of work, subbing just about every day, and very little recently at the elementary level. I'm getting lots of math, but enough other jobs to keep it interesting. I was subbing in a history class at the high school one day when a bunch of the students, who'd already had me for math, decided to get me a job, and drafted a letter for the principal right then and there! I didn't offer anything in the letter, but did suggest that they should send a copy to the HR department at the district office. They also told me about a long-term job that may be coming up at the end of the year, and tried to figure out how to get me in there. If I've made that kind of positive connection with students, then I must be doing something right!

I had three days in a row where I was a floater at three different schools. That was interesting. At the high school I mostly taught math (they know what I can do there, apparently), and a little of everything at one of the middle schools. At the other middle school, they had a whole bunch of substitute teachers without an actual assigned class, and with the head secretary out, they weren't quite sure why we got those jobs or what to do with us! They gave me a special ed class, and I discovered (again) why I don't usually do special ed. I have great respect for those teachers.

So far, not a lot of progress on the job hunt, just because there's nothing listed. Even summer school jobs seem to be pretty sparse right now, which surprises me. But it's early, of course. I'm expanding my job hunt slightly to the area where my folks live. Those districts are at the bottom of my list, but if I were to get a job out there, I'd stay at my parents' place during the week and scurry home for weekends. If that happens, I would probably have to seriously consider studded tires. It would be tough on Laura and me, but if that's what it takes to get a full-time gig, we'd manage somehow.

Not much else to say, I guess. I already have three days lined up this week, all with a large amount of math (although only one is all math), and all for teachers I've worked for before. And we'll just see how the rest of the year goes. Are there really less than two months to go?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger