Sunday, May 16, 2010

Job hunt update

So, is anyone out there wondering how my new job hunt has been going? Me, too. Fortunately, I seem to be in decent shape right now. The local district I now live in has four math openings at the high school, and the next district down the road also has several math openings, both middle school and high school. Yes, I've applied in both. I've also heard, through the grapevine, that my local district will likely have some middle school positions open soon, too. The only other nearby district that's currently advertising math openings is a big district down the road about an hour, so I'd rather not apply there just yet. All my other possibilities aren't advertising any openings right now. I suspect it's still a little early, as they've just gotten their budgets from the state. Yes, there will be some job losses, but it looks like most will be handled with retirements/attrition and in the central offices. I thank my lucky stars that I went into math, as it's in high demand, and districts can't exactly cut down on how much math they can teach. Fortunately, I have some really good references and letters of recommendation (including one from a student). I also had the foresight, once I realized I wouldn't be back next year, to contact my old math coach at the local ESD. She's offered some good advice on the job hunt, and she knows my style and needs well enough that she can steer me towards districts that would work for me (and vice versa). While I'm not very happy with the way things developed, I've decided to embrace this opportunity. I'm finally in a position where I can look for a job that works for me, and not just take any old job that comes along (which has been my usual system in the past).

So what I hope will happen is that some district hires me within the next few weeks, giving me the summer to not worry about getting a job. Instead, I can focus on moving in, getting ready to hit the ground running in the fall, and possibly even start doing the research to finally finish off my master's degree. Will it happen that way? I don't know. But I'm encouraged enough that it might!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger