Saturday, May 24, 2008

The latest update

It's been a while since I posted, and so I thought I'd take advantage of the long holiday weekend to give my loyal readers (if I still have any) an update. First off, I'm in a terrific position right now. A math teacher at the local junior high (within very pleasant walking distance) is now on maternity leave. She asked me back in the fall if I'd fill in for her, and I told her that the only thing that would keep me away is if I got a job in another field. So for the past three weeks, I've been teaching regularly. The same kids at the same school with the same colleagues! I feel like a real teacher at last, even if I have to shift my way of teaching to suit the regular teacher's (I don't want to rock the boat this late in the school year!) I've filled in for her before, so the kids and I know each other, but now I'm getting to learn their names (that's working a lot better than I thought it would) and what they're like as students. I've also worked with my colleagues to plan things out, and even talked to a couple of parents. This is, frankly, my dream job, and if this is the only way I'm ever going to get it, I'm at least happy that I have this chance.

As for the job hunt, it's progressing well in some ways, and frustratingly slow in others. I've already had two interviews, with schools in other parts of the state. One was by phone, and while I think I did all right, it obviously wasn't enough, as I never heard back from them. The other was a small suburban high school south of here, and while I don't think I did too horribly, I also wasn't surprised when they called and told me I wasn't a finalist. (Kudos to them, they at least let me know. Most schools don't do that!) Another rural high school has expressed interest, and is looking over my information, so I may hear from them soon. And so far, I've barely scratched the surface. The lovely Mrs. G. has already said that she's willing to move if it means I get a job somewhere, so I'm willing to look just about anywhere now. It could be a long frustrating summer, but I'm feeling more confident that I can get a teaching job somewhere. If not, however, I'm going to have to try to get another job in this economy, because there is no way I can afford to substitute for another year.

So many people over the past few years, hearing my plight, have told me to just hang on, something will turn up soon. Well I've been hanging on for years now, and I can't afford to wait any more. If the state is serious about finding and retaining math teachers, maybe they should make it easier for teachers and school districts to find each other. Maybe districts should recruit from their own sub ranks when there's a vacancy before opening the job up to anybody. Oh, well, let's see what this latest round brings. I'll try to post more often, particularly when there's actual news to tell you.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger