Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Back to the same old thing...again...and yet...

You know, as good as my last job was, with very small classes and individualized instruction and such, I'm glad I'm out of there. I was getting bored, to be honest, as there were many times I didn't really have that much to do. Plus which, while most of the students were great, there were the handful that were there because no other school would take them, and they could make teaching a lot less fun than it should be, if you know what I mean.

So, Friday I got back into the sub pool yet again, but at least it felt right for once. I'm becoming more convinced that the public school classroom is where I need to be, at least at this stage of my life. The energy of the last few days has just been exhilarating. Not only that, I'm finding that I'm wanted. One junior high teacher I talked to the other day had been trying to get me for a while, and was frustrated when the system told him I was unavailable. But I'll be back for him later this month. And yesterday, at another junior high, the department head came in after school and asked me some pointed questions about the curriculum, whcih makes me thing... Nah, I've been disappointed too many times before, so I'm not going to speculate. Besides, it's a long time before September still. However, with a day off today, I decided to work on brushing up my résumé.

So, sad sign of the times I saw yesterday: A student had to use her calculator to figure out what 0 divided by 6 was. I gave her a bit of a mock scolding — then had to do it again later in the period when a student, working on the same problem, used his calculator to figure out six divided by six. At least both of them took it in good humor.

Oh, yeah, and on Friday, I'll be at the same junior high I was at on Monday. So before I left, I checked to see if it would be all right to wear something with a Seahawks logo. The secretary pretty much made it clear that I wouldn't be allowed in the door if I didn't have something Seahawks on... That should be a fun day...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger