Sunday, October 02, 2005

Here's an interesting turn in my life...

Okay, last Wednesday, after I typed up my last blog entry? I got a call from out of the blue that looks like it will change my teaching life...at least for a little while. It turns out that one of my wife's co-workers also works at a small private school that works with kids with ADHD, dyslexia, Asperger's Syndrome, and other such labels for those who are just plain different. This school needed a math teacher ASAP, so they called me! I went in that afternoon thinking they might interview me and see if I was up to snuff, but I was practically offered the job on the spot! (I guess they really are desperate.) So, starting tomorrow morning, I'll be taking on some math, science, and writing classes with very small groups. This could be extremely interesting! I'm a little nervous about the whole thing, as I'm still not sure what to expect -- and I don't think they do, either -- but I've spent some time this weekend filling out the paperwork and getting acquainted with some of the material, so I guess this is going to happen. Fortunately, they've promised not to throw me into the deep end, I'll get some time to find my way and get a better idea of what I need to do. The classes are very small -- in fact, my tutoring work may have been a big reason why they got me, as much of what I'll be doing sounds like what I've been doing there.

Now, the bad news is that it doesn't pay much better than subbing, and they're still so small that they can't offer any benefits. But it is a bit more stability than I've had the past few years, and if nothing else, it will be a good experience -- not to mention that it pushes Marysville one more line down the résumé! If it truly doesn't work out, I can always leave, it's that flexible, and I'll still have subbing and tutoring to fall back on. But it's something. It looks like I'll be pretty busy this week, as the tutoring job still needs me for the whole week (they're going to get me down to two nights a week as soon as they can figure out how to cover the other two), so I won't be able to tell you much about it until this weekend, most likely. And I'll be honest, I'm extremely nervous that I'm going to mess this up. But if they're willing to take a risk with me, I'm willing to give them everything I can. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger