Sunday, March 13, 2005

A few observations from the past week's adventures

No big events really happened this week, so instead I'll just give you a few anecdotes:


  • Monday, I was an elementary librarian. That was a lot of fun. If I had it to do over again, maybe I'd get my librarian credentials. (Heck, maybe I can do it in the distant future anyway, after I get my master's degree and some coaching credentials.)
  • Tuesday, junior high math. Despite the one class of very squirrelly students, it was a good day. Of course, I always consider it a good day when I can actually work in the field I taught last year, and want to teach again.
  • Wednesday I was at the local alternative school -- and when I say local, I mean local, as it was just a short walk away. To my surprise, an old colleague of mine from Seattle is teaching there now as well, so we got to catch up a bit. And now, I'm subbing for him tomorrow. Besides being close, the school is, naturally, small, as are the classes, and the kids are pretty neat, too. Despite the fact that all I had to do was show videos (a topic I will probably go on about before too long), it was a fun day.
  • Thursday, I was supposed to be at one school that I hadn't been to since they remodeled, and I was looking forward to seeing what the new place looked like. But as I was going out the door, the system called me and offered me another job. HUH? I turned it down and jumped online to see what was up, and sure enough, the job I'd originally signed up for was gone. I'm not sure if the teacher didn't need the job and cancelled the absence (with nobody telling me), or if a glitch in the system cancelled that job when I was trying to cancel another one (my dentist had to postpone an appointment). At any rate, I was disappointed, but I did get to work with a nice third-fourth grade split class instead that day instead. They did get a touch of spring fever in the afternoon, however, and weren't as good for me then as they were in the morning. And with the early spring we're having around here this year -- more of a lack of winter, really -- I have a feeling there will be many classes like this in the coming months. Thank goodness this didn't happen last year in Marysville! The strike-extended calendar was bad enough without adding gorgeous weather on top of it...
  • Friday, I was at a high school teaching English -- or, to be more accureate, giving quizzes on Beowulf and The Great Gatsby (not at the same time, fortunately). During first period, a lockdown drill was announced, so I dutifully locked my door and closed my shades like one is supposed to. Sure enough, word got around school later, there was a drug-sniffing dog patrolling the hallways during that period. Unlike what happened to me the week before, however, he didn't check out classrooms, just lockers. I have no idea what, if anything, was found.

And that's about it! Nothing lined up this week past tomorrow, but something is bound to turn up. It usually does.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger