Sunday, March 11, 2007

Three and a half dwarves

Right now, I'm sleepy, dopey, and grumpy, with some remnants of sneezy as a result of last week's cold. I'm getting really tired of the grind again, as I'm also having to slip in what little I can do about hunting for a new job next year. I have several requests for letters out, and I need to get things ready to go. But with two jobs, I have so little time during the week and so many other things going on weekends, that I'm not sure when or how to do it all. Still, I'll keep trying...

So, how was the past week, at least? Not so bad, but with some twists. Monday I filled in for a high school technology teacher I've subbed for before. All went well except for the kid in welding class who took his goggles off too soon and had to go home early and see a doctor. I had to fill out an incident report, but I got the impression that nobody was blaming me, at least. Tuesday was high school PE, which basically meant tell kids what to do, then watch them do it. I also had a preliminary interview in a nearby district that afternoon, and I think that went well. Of course, I still need to actually apply. Wednesday I took a half day elementary library job so that I could write a lesson plan that afternoon — more on that in a little bit. Thursday I went to a junior high computer lab. It's far enough away that I left earlier than I normally would, as I've had traffic problems there before. This proved to be a good thing, as traffic was just fine, but the turnoff road was blocked due to construction! Fortunately, I had enough time to find a way there, and I got there just in time. Friday was fun because it was a junior high math class I've subbed in before, and the teacher was kind enough to let me write up a lesson plan and teach them in the hopes that an administrator could observe me. No administrators showed up, sad to say, nor was a video camera (my back-up plan) available, but it was at least a good opportunity, and the kids responded well (I think the change of pace was good for them).

So far, things are pretty quiet for the coming weeks. I have a single day as a junior high language arts/social studies teacher on Tuesday, filling in for one of my tutoring colleagues, on Tuesday (I've subbed for him before, and they're great), two days of high school math coming up in a couple of weeks, and that's about it. But I'm confident something will turn up. It usually does.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger