Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Time to get started

Officially, the school year started yesterday in one of the districts I sub in, and the other one today. At this stage of the game, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for a job offer to come through, so it looks like I'll be subbing and tutoring yet again this year. Crap.

It's been a frustrating summer, since I knew I was getting going too late to really be effective. And the tutoring hours actually went up a bit, so that cut into my time. Then all at once, Laura got sick (inner ear infection, she's fine now) and my computer's hard drive crashed (expensive repair, but I have a new one now, and they were able to save all the data, thank goodness), both of which put a further crimp on things. At least I got the one interview, so I'm not a total pariah...

At any rate, I need to work my butt off again for the next few months to get us back in better financial shape. But we will probably refinance our home later this year, and if I sub and tutor full time, I can actually get more money in a month than we need -- yes, it actually looks like we're going to get through this summer in decent shape, thanks to all that I socked away into savings. So if I can build up our reserves, I'm going to cut back on tutoring, and even take a day off or two from subbing, in the new year. That way, I hope to devote more time to applying for jobs. And I'm going to cast my net much wider than usual. Yes, I'm going to look for jobs out of our area, and Laura and I have agreed to move if someone wants to offer me a job out of this area. I'm not happy at that, but it may be time to shake our lives up a little bit anyway. We've been in this house for over seven years now, and I'm getting tired of beating on the door and not being let in more than a crack. If I'm going to be a successful teacher, it's clear that I can't do it without a lot of effort and willingness to make sacrifices. Fortunately, Laura's with me. So, we'll see what happens.

But for now, I just need to get in as many hours as I can at both jobs. So if anything should happen, I'll be sure to let you all know!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger