Monday, October 20, 2003

It's over

After more than three hours of talk, explanation, debate, and questions, tonight the Marysville Education Association voted, 69% to 31%, to go back to work. Frankly, I thought it would be a lot closer, nor was I really sure which way it would go. (And no, I'm not going to tell you how I voted, because I'm still not sure if I voted the right way. So if I'm second guessing myself, I don't want others to do the same.)

The district, of course, will crow about this tomorrow, but they haven't really won. We still need a contract, and we're still not going to settle for what they're offering. But many teachers seemed to realize that continuing to strike wouldn't accomplish much, and would likely hurt the already delicate relations with the community.

Tomorrow, I sleep in, then start getting ready for my first day of teaching on Wednesday. And this blog can stop being about a strike and start being about what it was originally intended, a teacher.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger